Sunday 19 December 2010

Granma's 90th & Francis Christmas 2010

So every year it is tradition for the descendants of my paternal grandparents to gather in Brimfield to celebrate my Granma's birthday and also Christmas. This has, for the last few years, been held at Brimfield Village hall where my Granma has a vested interest and it's big enough to hold us all (she had 5 children, has 9 grandchildren and 9 great grandchildren - with 2 more on the way).

And this year was my granma's 90th birthday, so this gathering was even more special. I simply couldn't miss it.

We arrived back in the UK on the Friday night and were gratefully picked up by my mum and Philip who had driven all the way down especially to get us. It was a late arrival (c. 10pm) following a change in Moscow. I have to point out at this stage that we'd heard reports of Heathrow closures due to snow.... well frankly Moscow's airport was literally in the middle of a snow storm with 20 inches and none of its flights were cancelled. I think Heathrow needs to have a word with itself. Oh - and Sean and I were still in our sandals (they're comfier than trekking boots to fly long haul in) which made many a Moscow eye turn in the terminal - crazy people that we are!

After a good nights sleep we spent Saturday lunchtime with my friend Jim and his girlfriend Katherine - and they broke the great news to us that they had just got engaged! Congratulations again guys - so happy for you! Was a great British pub lunch with ale - just what the doctor ordered! Jim and Katherine are such a great couple too that we were gutted to have to leave them, but my sister and her family were due to arrive at my mums place.

I was thrilled to see Zac and Scarlett again (when we left in July they were hoping to have moved to Australia by now, but Jill's visa was delayed). They have grown so much! Scarlett seemed to take a shine to Sean too being one of the only people that she would willing run to for a cuddle. Zac was so tall - he's turning into such a clever boy!


Granma's do was on the Sunday and it was so great to see everyone. Sean really enjoyed this one 'cause it's the first of my family's occasions he's attended where we have been engaged (so no questions about when he's going to pop The Question) . We also have had two pregnancy announcements this year and my cousin Bridget and her family were over from Australia. So it was a really great party. Grandma had a lovely time (and got some great presents - check out the hat). Everyone was on really good form, we had some musical entertainment by the very talented George, Tabitha and Harry - Mostyn was a (quote) "Complete Cuddle Bug" and Elliot charmed us all with his cute accent telling the story about going to the "tippity top of the castle". Christopher looked exceedingly handsome in his suit (as did Uncle T actually). It will be a day I'll remember for a very long time!










This week back in Brimfield was a manic one because this was the only time Sean and I had to finalise the 'big' decisions for our wedding (we did my dress, the venue and the church before we left). Sean and I had scheduled several meetings with caterers, photographers, suit hire companies and needed to find a cake. But I have to say - everything literally fell into place. Jim is a jazz musician and agreed to sort out a trio for the guest arrivals. My Aunty Gwenda was awesome enough to agree to do our flowers (she did my cousin Sally's and they were incredible!). My Uncle Robin says he might be able to swing a deal with a bus company for the guests - hip hip hooray. We instantly fell in love with one of the caterers - booked them. Same with one of the photographers - booked them. The first suit Sean tried on he loved - ok, that's sorted. We had to go to the bank one day and there was a cake shop next to it - the lady was lovely and her cakes yummy so again, we booked her. And my mum had surprised my sister and I with a mini facial/nails session and the lady there does hair/make-up - ok, that's done. And the owner of the Salon also recommended her DJ from her wedding - ok, that's also done. So the only things still to do really are the fun things (like decorations etc) that can wait until we get home for good. My Granma even dragged me off to the local coffee morning where we ran into Sian (who will marry us) where she confirmed she'd been booked to do it and got to discuss the run up meetings required.

We went and visited my Nanny (my mum's mum) up in Wolverhampton. She was on great form that day which was lovely (although she did keep calling Zac a girl and Scarlett a boy and I think she thought Scarlett was mine and not my sisters... but hey).




And finally we had a 'fake' Christmas day with my mum and Philip on Dec 16th since we were all heading separate ways on 17th Dec. It was a fantastic day - we loved every minute. Mum even made her apple pie and jam tarts!





That weekend Sean and I headed to London and stayed with my friend Issy. Sean got to catch up with Drew and Kylie and on Sunday we visited Nick and Miffy, drank too much and sang karaoke on the Wii - classic!


My sister has now moved to my Aunty Kate and her husband Bill's place near Alicante in Spain until my sister's visa comes through. So Sean and I were very lucky to get to go out their for the real Christmas day to spend two more weeks with them before finally their dream comes true and they move down-under. So - Espagne, here we come...

Here are the photos (but we warned, they're very family focused and Clare I apologise for the one of you with the poppadom... that was one Uncle Rob made me take!):


No comments:

Post a Comment