Monday 6 September 2010

Going off on a Tansen

Jen and I decided that we wanted a bit of an off-the-beaten-track break on the road between Pokhara and Bardia National Park, so we decamped for a couple of days in Tansen - a wonderfully pleasant Nepali mountain town with a relaxed air and a medieval feel. To be clear, by this I mean Nepali medieval, not European medieval - Tansen looks nothing whatsoever like Prague or Bruges.


The town is beautifully set in lush green forested mountains, which makes for gorgeous views and ideal hiking country. So hike we did (yes, even me - again) to the summit of the mountain overlooking Tansen and the surrounding countryside. And it was well worth the walk.



Then again, the view from our hotel room looked like this - so at least a part of me was wondering whether the physical exertion just for the sake of a view was really necessary...


The rest of our time in Tansen was spent just relaxing, eating well, soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying the hospitality and friendliness of people who weren't as used to seeing travellers as those in many of the bigger, more touristy places we'd been.


And that includes the local wildlife too.


Though I couldn't for the life of me get a decent sodding cup of coffee, despite the fact that Tansen is right in middle of coffee-growing heartland. Jen claims I got more annoyed about this than I should have. I claim that since she doesn't drink coffee she has no right to comment.

I don't think I convinced her.

Things Jen will remember about Tansen:
  • Power cuts - Nepal is blighted by them but they are particularly annoying out in the sticks. Thank goodness (again) for my wind-up Testies torch!
  • Betel-Nuts - these guys are crazy for them out here. We were offered some to chew after one of our meals (final photo in album below) and they were hard as nails... anyone know what we were doing wrong here???
  • The (battered) jeep ride from the bus 'stop' on the main road to the centre of Tansen. Normal 8 seater jeep fits 21 people inside with uncounted number on roof.
  • The many sewing shops lining the street-sides with folks sewing into the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment